Volvo Tries for Sexy in Redesigned XC90
Can a Volvo be sexy? The Swedish carmaker has given it a go with the completely redesigned XC90 which will go on sale in the US in Spring 2015.
After 12 years of idle design, the fresh take on the XC90 features a sexier facia with creases taking precedence over clunky styling, a waterfall grill, lower ride and T-shaped running lights which the design team refers to as “Thor’s Hammer.”
“Anyone who looks in their rear-view mirror is going to know immediately that there is a new XC90 behind them,” said Thomas Ingenlath, Senior Vice President Design of Volvo Car Group. “The XC90 is a car that has presence on the road.”
Interior upgrades for all XC90 models include newly configured seating designed to create more space for passengers. Volvo claims their sliding seats will make for class-leading comfort in the third row for passengers up to 5’7”.
To celebrate the launch of the mid-sized luxury crossover SUV, Volvo is offering 1,927–to celebrate Volvo’s founding in 1927–individually numbered First Edition models for sale online only.
The First Edition offers:
- Two engine options to choose from – the supercharged and turbocharged T6 with 320 hp and 295 ft-pounds of torque and the D5 twin turbo diesel engine with 225 hp and 347 ft-pounds of torque. Each is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission.
- Uniquely numbered tread plates and a distinctive badge on the tailgate
- Electronically controlled air suspension has choice of five modes
- Onyx black exterior and nappa leather amber seats inside with charcoal leather dashboard and walnut inlays.
- 8-spoke, 21-inch wheels
- Power-operated front seats are equipped with ventilation. The outer seats in the second row have heating and the two third row seats are power-operated.
- Bowers & Wilkins audio systems featuring a 1,400 watts Class D amplifier, 19 speakers, and one of the first air-ventilated subwoofers integrated in a car
The online store opens for business September 3rd, at 10:00AM ET for the new XC90 which will be available Spring of 2015.