Audi Bringing 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron to US
Audi has announced plans to bring the all-new 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron to the United States this October. What will buyers be able to get with this new model?
Under the Hood
The A3 Sportback e-tron is a plug-in hybrid. If features a 1.4 liter TFSI® engine with a six-speed S tronic® transmission. Audi says that when the engine and transmission are combined with a liquid-cooled, permanent magnet-driven electric motor, “the A3 e-tron produces 204 horsepower and 258 lb-ft. of torque for impressive off-the-line acceleration and high-end power.”
An 8.8-kWh lithium-ion battery pack provides electrical energy that can be charged in about 2 hours and 15 minutes from a 240-volt outlet.
EPA fuel economy estimates are not currently available.
Designed to be sporty and in keeping with other similar vehicles like the Lexus CT 200h, the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron’s standard exterior equipment includes:
- Xenon plus high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights
- LED taillights with rear fog lights
- LED interior lighting package
- e-tron specific Singleframe grille, S line front/rear fasciae and side sills, rear bumper with hidden exhaust outlet
- 16″ wheels
Optional equipment includes:
- full LED headlights
- aluminum roof rails
- Panoramic sunroof with retractable sunshade and pinch protection
- 17″ and 18″ wheels
- Power central locking system with radio-operated key fob remote control for doors, tailgate and fuel door with selective unlocking
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- Three-spoke multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Audi advanced key – keyless start, stop and entry
- Audi drive select
- Rear view camera, with front and rear parking sensors
- Audi pre sense® basic
The Sportback e-tron’s battery pack is store beneath the rear seat giving the vehicle a fully-usable trunk.
The interior of the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron comfortably seats 5 passengers. The lithium-ion battery is hidden beneath the rear seat for even more room and luggage capacity in the trunk. Both the driver and passenger have access to a variety of standard and available technology features.
- Cargo area offers 13.6 cu ft. of luggage capacity
- MMI® wheel with optional MMI touch
- Ultra-thin 7’’ MMI screen with available 7” display
- Circular air vents
- Available 3D optic inlays
- e-tron specific shift knob, badging on the dash, instrument cluster and door sills
The A3 Sportback e-tron also offers a four driving choices including:
- EV mode – The vehicle is powered only by the electric motor for a smooth and quiet ride featuring quick acceleration
- Hybrid mode – This mode allows the car to intelligently select the most efficient power source – either EV, Hybrid or gasoline
- Hold Battery mode – Hybrid driving is allowed while preserving EV range for later use
- Charge Battery mode – In this mode, the Sportback e-tron will use its gasoline engine to recharge the battery while driving at highway speed
The Audi A3 Sportback will offer a host of what is, for 2016 models considered expected in its luxury class including:
- Sirius XM® Satellite Radio
- Available MMI navigation plus system features 4G LTE based technology, MMI touch, two SD card slots for MP3 files
- The MMI operating system has an electronically extending screen, its terminal housed in the console of the center dashboard. Available touch pad is incorporated into the rotary MMI control wheel, which offers intuitive and simple operation
- NVIDIA graphics processing unit (GPU) generates complex three-dimensional images used in all online, voice control, media navigation and telephone functions
- A 705 watt 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen Sound System is optional on the A3 Sportback e-tron.
- Available Audi connect®, including read aloud Twitter® alerts, access to more than 7,000 Internet broadcast stations, RSS news feeds and more
- MMI navigation plus uses 4G LTE to deliver the tailored services of Audi connect to the driver – from navigation with Google Earth and Google Street View
The vehicle’s advanced technology package includes a number of safety technologies:
- Standard Audi pre sense basic system which helps detect when an emergency maneuver is being made and prepares the vehicle and its occupant restraint systems in advance of a possible collision
- Available Audi side assist, including lane change assistant, operating at speeds above 19mph and providing visual warnings located in exterior mirror housings
- Standard electronic cruise control with coast, resume and accelerate features
- Available Audi adaptive cruise control with stop & go
- Available Audi active lane assist – When the system detects that the driver is leaving the lane without signaling, the car, through gentle corrective steering efforts, will assist the driver to remain in the lane
- Audi pre sense front – Includes brake assist or partial braking when the risk of a collision is detected.
Click here to see pricing.